Monday, December 22, 2014

MERRY CHRISTMAS - 2014

As we prepare to celebrate the birth of our biggest advocate - our Savior Jesus Christ, we reflect on the many little miracles of this year. 2014 is definitely a year our family will never forget. We achieved many goals together, celebrated many milestones, found little ways to help in our community and most of all, we are humbled to be the recipients of so many acts of kindness this Christmas season. Our family has been blessed beyond measure . We are deeply touched and our cup runneth over with gratitude.


We had a scary month in October with not knowing what Lota's biopsy was, but the love of friends, family and strangers; the miracles that we witnessed, the peace that we felt outweigh all the tough times. God is real.  He lives and he knows each one of us. We just need to put our trust in him to lead the way while we push our way through each obstacle.  This Christmas we share with you a very personal journey we've been on and the many miracles that happened along the way. Lota's story is not only about serving others with a Christlike love,  it is also about braving the tough storms in our lives, inspiring others to make a difference in someone else's life, and most of all, recognizing the guidance of the Spirit and appreciating the little miracles that are unfolding in our lives each day. 

Lota's Miracle is the message we want to share with you this Christmas. Our hearts are full with gratitude and we pray that you will feel the love of our Savior as you read Lota's story. 



LOTA'S MIRACLE

By - Rowena Ward (Lota's Mom)


My son Lota is a boy of strength, a boy with a heart of gold, a boy with some very persistent guardian angels.  Let me start from the beginning. 

Lota found a love for running after a few trail runs with his Dad.  Father and son developed a very tight bond and running became their thing.  After Keith and I ran a half marathon in May; Lota begged to run one with his Dad too. We signed him up for the school 5K fundraiser to see how he does. Unfortunately Lota fell off the monkey bars at school and broke his arm about a week before the race.  We assumed he wasn't going to run it because of his cast. But No. Lota ran it and crossed the finish line with smiles and more determination to run his first half.  A few weeks later, he ran the XTERRA Olympic Park, Park City 21K (13.1 trail miles). I was a nervous mess on the way to the finish line that day.  To be honest, I didn't want him to run such a long race. I didn't have a good enough reason. I was simply scared for him. However, I knew from experiences that I should never allow my fears to stop my children from doing something they love, something that can make them better and stronger individuals. 


Nothing was going to stop Lota from that half, not an awkward cast, not even me. Even though he struggled at mile 9 and 11, he crossed the finish line with smiles and an announcement - "I'm going to cover my walls with these, Mom" as he held up his medal with confidence and pride.  
XTERRA Olympic Park, Park City May 31st 2014

He wasn't joking. He later ran the XTERRA Jordenelle 21K, followed by the XTERRA Wolf Mountain 10K. By this time, Lota was so confident with his running, he would not stop talking about his next race. We challenged him to run his next race for a good cause and he embraced the idea. He decided to run his next half for two neighborhood friends that have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). In September, despite bad weather and a headache, Lota was determine to run. It was a tough run, but he finished and he raised $1735 ($1579.03 after fees) for his friends and brought awareness to Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a disease many did not know about until they heard about Lota's cause. Lota thought it was the coolest thing to raise that money for Tanner and Skyler Jensen.  He was so happy to help. It was after that race that I was 100% certain, there was something special about Lota. Something I did not fully understand. 

Playing with his friends - Tanner and Skyler Jensen


Shortly after that race, we noticed Lota was sleeping a lot.  He was also finishing up his football season at the same time, so we assumed he was just tired and growing. I was also having a feeling that there is something wrong but I brushed it off as just me being a paranoid Mom. He had no fever and he was doing well in school. A couple of weeks back he had complained about headaches but it all went away after a root canal was done. On Friday October 17th, after getting a letter in the mail that Lota had failed an eye screening at school, I had a strong feeling to get Lota in for an eye exam. 

My first call that day was to our new insurance for a list of providers. Miraculously, a real person answered my call instead of the usual automated machine and within minutes a list of providers was sent to my email. I had another strong feeling to make an appointment that very day. It was a tough task, given it was already 12:30 pm. Keith was getting ready for work and he wanted to spend sometime with me before heading out. But the feeling was persistent, "Get Lota in to see an eye doctor today". I followed through.  After calling several providers with no success, I finally got a last minute appointment with Dr. Wenom at Specialized Optical in South Ogden; someone had just canceled. Another thought came to me "Take Keith with you". I did. 


At the eye exam, Dr. Wenom noticed that both of Lota's optic nerves were severely swollen and his eyes were under extreme stress. He diagnosed Lota with papilledema and transferred us right away to Dr. Poll, an ophthalmologist at Mt Ogden Eye Center. After doing further testing, Dr. Poll informed us that there is something in Lota's head, pushing against the back of his eyes. "A brain tumor?" I asked.  "Yes". He did not hesitate. The news was hard to swallow.  But somehow I felt a great deal of peace and calmness. It was a very strange feeling and I was a little bit confused with how I was handling this terrible news. 


Dr. Poll transferred us to Ogden Regional ER for an MRI. At around 8 pm a tumor was discovered and we were told to go directly to Primary Children Medical Center. We made a stop at home where Poppah met us and and gave Keith and Lota each a blessing.   The drive to the unknown was heart wrenching, but the pain I saw in Keith's eyes that night broke my heart in pieces.  Only a father who treasures his son could only understand his pain. I reached out and held his hand.  "We have a strong team" is what I kept telling him.  I was so sure of every word. I knew it was coming from within because each word felt right and warm. 


At Primary Children, we were sent directly to the ICU where a team of doctors surrounded Lota's bed for a briefing. The reality of that moment was tough for both Keith and I. But that peaceful feeling was still there and I was comforted to know Lota was in great hands.  We also noticed that Lota's vision have deteriorating fast since his eye exam, only a few hours earlier. Doctors were shock at how long Lota was able to take all that pressure in his brain.  Lota could have easily fallen into a coma if we didn't bring him in at that time. 


As we waited for doctors to see what the best route is for Lota, I finally realized what had just happened.  The Spirit and Lota's guardian angels have been there the whole way.  They held each door open for my next step.  My boy needed help right away and that help could only come through me that day.  All I had to do was listen and do.  These were  no coincidence. I have witness the tender mercies of my Lord and Savior. I have seen a miracle unfold in front of my own eyes. I shed tears of gratitude. I shed tears of humility. I thank God for using me to help my little warrior. I was grateful that at that moment I was in tune with the Spirit.  I was listening. 


Lota did another MRI the next morning and from there went straight into surgery for doctors to create a hole for the fluid to drain, eventually releasing all the pressure in his brain. We prayed and we asked for prayers from family and friends around the world.  Lota's name was placed on the prayer roll in temples and cathedrals around the country by friends and families. Tissue from the tumor were taken for biopsy also.  Unfortunately, biopsy came back inconclusive. They needed more tissues for testing. The spinal tap and blood test came back negative. That was at least comforting.


For almost 4 weeks, we waited and prayed for a better biopsy.  Lota was diagnosed with teratoma, a rare form of brain tumor. Lota was also baptized during that time. Many people came and brought presents for Lota.  He marveled at all the love he received.  I still remember the next morning after his baptism. He came up to me and said "Mom, my baptism was really weird." I asked him why. He said "So many people brought me presents. Normally you don't get presents on your baptism." I smiled and said "Why do you think those people brought you so many presents?" He answered, "Because they want me to be brave for my surgery". I smiled with tears in my heart.  


On November 12th, Lota bravely walked into his second surgery to remove as much of the tumor as possible.  


Lota's neurosurgeon was able to remove 2/3 of the tumor. The other 1/3 was pretty much cemented to a vein; it was too risky to remove it.  After almost a month of waiting and praying, Lota's biopsy came back - No Cancer.  More prayers of gratitude. Because of where the tumor sits; its effect on Lota's vision will always be a concern.  So we continue to pray for our sweet Lota and follow up with his doctors. 

Lota's love for running and that one act of kindness he did for his friends prepared him for a day we never saw coming. The tough patches he hit on those trail runs, and how he fought through them were the experiences we used to help him cope through the hard times of his journey. Lota has always had a big heart for others. His very first pay it forward run was during a cold rainy day. That did not stop him.  This past summer he volunteered at the This is the Place Heritage park with me and his siblings.  He didn't enjoy football as much because he didn't like tackling other kids or being tackled.  Lota not only has a big heart for others, he is also a fighter; a warrior in his own ways. Two day after his 2nd surgery, he refused to stay in bed, instead he walked almost the whole hospital and then declared to his doctor, "I'm ready to go home". He was released later that day. 


Lota has inspired so many through his strength and love for others.  He has taught us a great deal about perseverance and living life to our fullest potential.  We have to live it with a greater purpose than ourselves. Let's not wait til our days are numbered to live life to the fullest. Let's not wait to celebrate someone special until after they pass on. Let's celebrate life now. I also learned to let go of the past. The guilt I felt for not paying attention from the very beginning was starting to eat at me. Thank you to Keith, my family and many wonderful friends, I was not allowed to go down that road. My focus is now and the road ahead.  


We hope Lota's story will inspire you to appreciate the many tender mercies in your life, to be selfless and to do something outside of your comfort zone for someone else. May you all feel the Love of our Savior this Christmas. We are forever grateful and we pray that our kind Father in Heaven will bless all of you today and always. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2015.  

PS: Look out for Lota's story on the Deseret News on Christmas Day. You can also read another article on Lota at http://www.xterraplanet.com/xterra-kid-big-heart-needs-help

With warm regards, The Wards.

UPDATE:Here is Lota's article from Christmas day in the Deseret News. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865618415/Little-Warrior-and-family-comforted-by-community-generosity-and-support.html?pg=all

Love to All. 

With Nana and Poppah after the 2014 XTERRA National Championship, Snowbasin Resort Ogden UT 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment